Wednesday, June 5, 2013

In the kitchen


A chilly, drizzly day is a perfect one to spend some time in the kitchen.  I never used to have a "sweet tooth", but lately in the evening I find myself craving something sweet.  And I don't mean an apple or a strawberry! I need chocolate!
I have been making this cookie recipe for so many years, I can't remember where it came from.  In my opinion, it's the perfect cookie -- chewy, nutty, and contains dark chocolate!  It's very versatile, and even a little bit healthy.  So here is my cookie recipe, with some variations to try.


Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup unbleached flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Make a well and add:
1 egg, beaten
1-2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup oil (canola is my preference)
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir just until mixed.  Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes. 
Makes 2 dozen big cookies or 2 1/2 dozen smaller cookies.
 
Variations:  My favorite nuts are pecans but walnuts are good, too.  Add some craisins with the chocolate chips.  Or, leave out the chips and add raisins and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.  Christmasy version--white chocolate chips and craisins. 
 
Share some with a friend!
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment