Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Home Away From Home

  When I traveled in Europe with my parents as a teen, we stayed in one grand hotel, The Grosvenor in London, and one apartment owned by my dad's company in Milano, Italy.  Otherwise, for six weeks we stayed in what were then called pensions (pen-see-ons), essentially rooms in someone's home with breakfast provided.  We met so many wonderful people that way, tried out our language skills, and I just loved the experience.

   Fast forward to last fall and London where I discovered the modern version of the pension, the small  B&B.  I stayed two wet but lovely weeks in the village of South Ealing in an Edwardian terrace house with old working fireplaces, beautiful old woodwork, and chickens and rabbits in the garden.

It was a 15 minute walk to the Tube station, and then a straight shot into London on the Picadilly Line.  The quiet neighborhood was made up of young families and students and there were grocery stores and small ethnic restaurants an 8 minute walk from the house.  It was perfect for me. 


   Linda, my host, owned a business in London.   She was friendly, interesting, and couldn't have been more generous, stocking the cupboard for breakfast and buying little treats she thought I would like to try. 


 
   My comfortable room was on the second floor, but the whole house, including kitchen, was mine to use.  Linda worked long hours so we chatted in the morning and in the evening I usually had the kitchen and house to myself. I had a shelf in the fridge and cupboard, and use of the cooker and washer and dryer.


South Ealing, walk to the subway

   There are several websites out there for booking home stays, but the one I used was Airbnb.  From their listings and the recommendations people leave, I think you can get a pretty good sense of whether or not the site will be appropriate for you.  The cost of my room was about $40 per night.
Not a sight you would see in my town!
I so enjoyed living as a Londoner for two weeks, shopping groceries, stopping to buy a coffee on the way to the Tube in the morning.  If you are adventurous and friendly, I would recommend trying a homestay next time you are traveling.
  
Thanks for reading my blog.  I enjoy reading your comments.

12 comments:

  1. Cynthia, London is one of the beatiful city. I love it especially shopping. I will be there in June and I believe it would be a great time. Thanks for your suggestion. Gosia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June should be lovely! You need to start a blog so I can read all about your trip. 😊

      Delete
    2. I have had a blog since February. You can read about my country. Welcome , Margaret

      Delete
  2. A really interesting post. I always wondered about the B and B where you stayed. Will you be returning to this one on your next visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's available, I probably will. Or maybe I'll feel adventurous and try a different area!

      Delete
  3. We did home stays in NZ and enjoyed them tremendously. I've also stayed in VRBO rentals and have had a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting B & B.
    B & B's are not cheap down here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot imagine being able to travel and see all these wonderful places! I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard many great things about airbnb,... thank you for sharing your experience (I'd like to try it for a vacation with my family this summer). For $40/night, what a bargain to have such wonderful accommodations and a terrific host!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post. I haven't been able to travel as much as I'd like, but I still like to read about travel. I've read about pensions and what you said supported the positive comments I've read about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to travel overseas, but it is doubtful that we will do that. We have a dog you know...and so our travel is limited and by the time he is out of the picture we will be too old:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a wonderful way to experience London. Like you, I recently left a 32-year career, and I also LOVE to travel. Seems we have a few things in common! Thanks for visiting my R5F post!

    ReplyDelete