Monday, May 5, 2014

Cannon Valley Trail

 
 The sun came out today and I headed for the Cannon Valley Trail, a 20-mile path along the Cannon River through farmland and woods.  I started at Welch, roughly half way between Cannon Falls and Redwing, headed toward Redwing.  I hiked about 6 miles in a section I've not hiked before. 

Very little color in the woods yet.

In fact, you can still see a bit of white on this small ski hill.  We had snow on Thursday.


 
The trail follows the old railroad bed of the former Chicago Great Western Railroad.
 


Moss and lichens get a chance show off with no leaves or flowers to detract. 


I don't now what kind of tree this is, but the flowers were both delicate and intricate.
And then finally, when I had just about given up on seeing them . . .
 
bloodroot, the earliest forest flowers to be seen in the spring!  They take their name from the red-orange rizomes that grows under the surface.

Thank you for reading my blog today.  I enjoy reading your comments and look forward to visiting your blog.
 
 



20 comments:

  1. Beautiful blue sky, I don't think I've ever seen bloodroot before, it's very pretty. I hope you enjoyed your walk it looks stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shots of nature on your 6 mile hike ~ lots of great texture for OWT ~ xoxo

    artmusedog and carol, (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post - GREAT example!
    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral

    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice path to walk. The large tablet that gives directions intrigues me. What a commonsense, cost-effective way of doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How good to be able to get out and about walking in the Spring air. Love the moss and lichens on the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I wish I had this wonderful nature for trail; I enjoyed your beautiful shots witht he enlarged pictures♡♡♡ Wonderful spring pictures!

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful! I would love to take a spring walk through your trails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a wonderful walk! Beautiful shots really capture the feel of early spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos. I have read about bloodroot but don't ever remember seeing a photo of it before. I wonder if you walked twice 6 miles - or if you had transport at the end of the walk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just walked 6 miles total. Not up to 12 yet but maybe by summer!

      Delete
  10. The inspiration for the "sea is so big and I am so small" comment came from a TV program I saw about people who have been struck by lightning - "The sky is so big, and I am so small"

    Interesting to find out the JFK had a similar plaque on his desk.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice walk in a not yet sping wood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! and one of my favorite wildflowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welch is one of my favorite spots on earth! When I drive the Welch Road, I never drive the posted speed limit. I am always a tourist and I drive as slowly as I can get by with until there is a vehicle behind me. You picked a lovely place to walk and that is where Goonight and I go tubing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The river was flooded and roaring past last Saturday when I was there. Tubing sounds like fun, though.

      Delete
  14. Seems you enjoyed your walk. The pathway looks nice and even, and wondering if it was rough walking apart from that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very flat and even. That's the beauty of old railroad beds. Hard on the legs though to walk on that hard surface for any distance.

      Delete
  15. Cynthia, you have had a great walking. Do you walk every day?
    But it's amazing that you have snow. It' s spring.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Finally something blooming YES!! :)

    ReplyDelete