Wednesday, October 29, 2014

What an October!

I'm really tired of raking leaves, so I propped the rake against a tree and went for a hike. The day just couldn't have been more perfect to be outside enjoying it.

Much of the corn has been picked and the fields ahead look naked, like a newly shorn sheep, or a summer haircut.

The boardwalk through the marsh is glowing golden and a few summer frogs provided some background music.

Past the tight new cat tails . . . .

. . . and into the piney woods. I wish my blog had Smell-o-Vision. The sun on the pine needle carpet made a heady perfume, so lovely I had to sit down on the warm pine needles for awhile, lean against a tree, and just inhale.

This has been the sunniest, warmest, best October in Minnesota I have ever experienced!

 

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”

― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

 

12 comments:

  1. We have had a glorious October too here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! Look at your glorious photos! And as old as I am, I still love Anne of Green Gables. Perfect quote for us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that boardwalk...what a great idea for walkers through the grasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a post that appealed to all my senses. Glad you remembered that the leaves could wait and took that walk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to see a broadwalk out in a marsh! I always associated the word "MARSH" with "Pommyland" and
    out on the Russian "steppes" - as "in the marshlands", never a term with the USA!!!
    Occasionally I have heard the expression here, but generally swamp land seems to be more often used
    and they are certainly devoid of smart looking broadwalks a la Minnesota. Walk tracks yes! Certainly
    mosquito repellent is essential!
    Great to know that your October weather has been so pleasant, same here this October but for God's
    sake "Hughie" show us what you can do - bloody well rain!!!
    Cheers
    Aussie Col

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here in Pommyland a marsh is a flooded area mostly colonised by herbaceous plants such as grasses, sedges and reeds. A swamp is a flooded area characterised by trees. And according to the American Wetland Foundation the same categorisation is used in the US.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, John for the information - "sedges" is a newy to me also??? Maybe you could elaborate?
      How on earth did you come up with the "moniker" - Stargoose and Hanglands????
      Cheers
      Aussie Col

      Delete
  6. Cythia at my place October was lovely, too. But what about winter we believe it wouldn't be so severe. It was a great idea to ride a bike and experience the sun. I love piney forests they are nice especially in spring... But I don't agree with Montgomery...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cynthia - I feel like I have been on a walk with you. Perhaps I should take my camera with me on my next bike ride. I loved Anne of Green Gables too when I was much younger. October in New Zealand is a great time to be alive - it's Spring, beautiful, with very changeable weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your walk with you.
    It's great you had a warm October.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been a glorious October here too but I would love to have joined you on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have had a mild October here in my part of the UK but too many cloudy, dull days. You had such beautiful blue skies on your walk, I enjoyed seeing where you went.

    ReplyDelete