Thursday, January 1, 2015

'Upon My Word!' or How I Spent the First Day of 2015

When I was a kid, my friend's mother used "Upon my word!" as an exclamation over everything. It came back to me this morning as I was choosing my word for the year and made me laugh. I don't know if you remember, last year I had quite a time deciding on my word and was wordless all of January. Well, this year I had not been awake an hour of the new year and my word came to me.

LIGHT



I love it! It has multiple meanings, light fascinates me, and there will be lots of great quotes and thoughts to discover around my word.

 

 

If you choose a word to focus on, I'd love to hear your choice for 2015.

 

 

 

I don't make New Year's resolutions, I list intentions. I write down what I would like to accomplish so I can check back periodically to stay on track and see where I'm at. Besides things like eat healthfully, yoga every morning, etc., I like to list projects I want to accomplish before this time next year, skills I would like to learn, places I would like to see. So today I made my list which includes things like paint the guest bedroom, build a rabbit-proof raised bed in the garden, plan a trip to China,

My mom leaves for her home in Florida tomorrow so we celebrated her birthday today a few days early with her favorite, a cherry pie.

 

The cherries were picked from my tree on a hot day last June.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I hope the rest of the days of this year are as satisfying as this one!

 

 

 

 

 

16 comments:

  1. What a great start to the year. If this is just day one just think what the rest of the year might hold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie looks delicious.
    Light! A great word that holds lots of meaning in many ways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so much fun to see your little pie bird. A neighbor gave me one this year, but I haven't used it as yet. I'm assuming it really works. Sounds like you have the new year started right with lots of LIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a short deliberation, I think " a homemade Minnesota Cherry Pie".
    5 words! Or if you only wish one "ahomemadeMinnesotaCherryPie" - OK???
    Cheers
    Aussie Col

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I thank you. The last 9 letters were the most pertinent.
      I expected one of your UK readers to have come up with that
      great "pommie" expression (word) as their word for 2015:
      "Supercalifragitisticexpialidocious" !!! ha ha!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year and that pie looks awesome! I like intentions too it seems safer that way:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia I hope so each day of the New Year is going to be as satysfying as the first one. The pie with ecological cherries is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Upon my word, "light" is a fine word to think about. During the winter months here I find myself thinking about it most mornings; wondering if it will get light or if we'll have another dull and gloomy day. Wishing you a luminous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year to you and many thanks for your well wishes. I like intentions rather than resolutions too, the pie looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a good start to the year. My first talk at camera club is about Natural Light. So we might\ be on the same wavelength for a month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had forgotten about cherry pie. My Mother used to make such good cherry pies. Your pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Light sounds like a great word for the year! I haven't decided on one yet but perhaps I will choose light too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've noticed a few bloggers and Facebookers announcing their words. What a great choice you've made! You asked about 'melting moments'...they are very light, delicate cookies...we call them biscuits. Two of these biscuits are sandwiched together with a sweet icing/frosting and they really do ,'just melt in your mouth'. Google the name to see a photo of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cynthia, I look forward to hearing how you use the word light in your intentions this year. And oh, my a cherry pie, my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sigh... I remember making cherry tarts with cherries from our tree a long time ago. My daughter says there were no cherries this past spring. Weird. I love those stars on your pie.

    ReplyDelete