Friday, December 29, 2017

Christmas Past


Our Christmas tree was so dry I had to take it down yesterday but the rest of the decorations 
will remain up until the new year.  Christmas goes by so fast with all there is to do, it seems like we hardly have the decorations up and it's time to put them away.  

We had unusual weather for Georgetown this morning -- ice!  All the big bridges leading in and out of town were closed until 11 as was Highway 17, the main highway that follows the coast through Georgetown from Virginia to Punta Gorda, Florida.  

Actually, I was perfectly happy to have an excuse to stay home. I like to prepare heart and home for the change of the year.  (Plus I got a really good book for Christmas!)  

I've been reading blogs and it seems the latest trend in New Years resolutions is to NOT make New Years resolutions, to lighten up on self-improvement, forget about new diets and promises to exercise, take a minimalist approach and appreciate what you have and who you are.  You know, just chill out and see what happens.  I don't know if I can get behind that or not.  

I always like the idea of choosing a word to focus on for the year ahead and I have a couple in mind to pick from.  One year I didn't like my word anymore after a couple months in so I just up and changed it!  

I'm sure 2018 will have some travel adventures in store for us.  Germany is in the plans, and of course, Florida and Minnesota.  One of my favorite Christmas presents is a dolphin watch boat trip in March.  

Mason's daddy's birthday was right before Christmas and Mason dressed himself for the occasion.  Don't you  think he looks just like a Christmas candy cane?

My grandma told us that any work you left undone by New Years Eve meant you would always be behind on that task in the New Year.  I better get back to work!

What are you doing to get ready
for the New Year?

12 comments:

  1. Love the sound of the dolphin watch, what a wonderful gift. I usually go for a word for the New Year and I am undecided between three at the moment. Your travel plans sound wonderful, we haven't made any definite plans as yet but travel is certainly on the agenda. Have a wonderful New Year, hopefully the weather will improve a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed cold down here and going to get colder. I'm putting up the Christmas stuff and we're trying to get our trip to Japan organized,we go in March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh! Unless something changes, we plan to be on the road on Monday, traveling from Massachusetts to Florida. Hope we don't encounter any of that ice.
    By the way, right now it's 11 degrees outside right now, the low tonight will be 1, and the forecast is for more of the same for the next 10 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh we do nothing special so therefore nothing to get read for the new year - we take it as it comes, day by day.
    Presume we will go for a short holiday as usual on our Island travelling here and there, then in winter if all is well off we will go touring parts of Australia again..
    Happy New Year to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your resolution.. That is the best of all.. I always to that.. just no resolution.. :) Love and hugs..
    Happy new year..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just joined your blog and enjoyed reading it. No resolutions for me, just look forward to making the best of what life offers. I have a blog which you might like to read, but I don't blog everyday. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never make those resolutions, I just take it als it comes. Far travels we are not up to anymore, I have seen much of the world, all over Europe, the US and Australia when travelling was still nice. All the security items now on airports makes my angry and rebellious. All the things you have to take off and that touching of your body by strangers, you are treated as a criminal, I don't want that anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, he looks just like a Christmas candy cane! He is so adorable!! I haven't given a thought to New Year's resolutions. For sure it won't be to diet and exercise. After about 60 years, I am tired of making that resolution. Poppy and I do plan to go somewhere after the first of the year. Maybe a trip up to the mountains. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cutie your Mason is!! I think a one word intention will work for me again. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mason is so adorable. I'm glad to hear you stayed in off those icy roads. Crazy winter we are having across the states.

    Your travels sound amazing to me, knowing my travel days are behind me, the dolphin watch would be fun. Enjoy it and I look forward to hearing all about your trips.

    Happy New Year to you and the Writer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Cynthia! I don't make resolutions, but do usually set a few goals. New Year's Eve for us was a small party with friends, a guitar, some song books and bongo drums and various noise makers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha you might hate ours, we have different categories (travel, wellness, family, career and financial) and it's always fun to see how they've gone! It's a bit harder to plan these days as a lot of things are different being in Bangkok, like I can't work. So I'm quite enjoying being like a tumbleweed and seeing where the breeze of life takes me! Happy New Year Cynthia!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete